Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Getting our New York on at the NYC Marathon 2014


NYC marathon 2014 was by far my favorite marathon to date, even though I had already run it in 2010.  This year I ran it for a fun time and the NYC crowds know how to give a girl just that!  Every borough, every street, every intersection was overflowing with sign-holding, spirit-lifting, high-fiving, cheering, roaring spectators!  I'm not sure which was working harder, the runners or the watchers.  I was in complete awe of these bundled up, early risers standing in gusting cold winds just to say great job, you're looking great, you CAN do it!  It seemed as if it was just as important to these complete strangers that we finish as it was to us. They wanted and seemed to need to high five us and encourage us. 
 
I always dedicate my races to someone because I know that there are those out there suffering and can't or don't think that they can run.  It's my thought that if I am an example that maybe one day someone will say, hey, if she can do it, well I most certainly can, too.  Well, it occurred to me on the streets of NYC that these peeps were counting on us, each of us that will make the whole, to finish.  We are the example of something to them--determination, hard work, dedication, grit, or maybe just crazy and entertaining.  Whatever it was they had all gathered to watch their own loved ones or maybe just us, the NYC marathon runners, because today was the day to celebrate the runners and their streets--a little place they like to call home.  We were welcomed with enthusiasm and it made you feel like you could fly (along with the wind, I thought it was going to actually be possible a few times)! 

I ran NYC with a dear friend, Luis.  We had a grand time on our amazing race, which started in Garner as we traveled by car to Charlotte at 4 am on Saturday morning, made a drop off of some precious cargo at Shannon's house, and then switched cars to be dropped off at the airport. Next we were flown to NYC, grabbed a taxi, made a pit stop at the grand Roosevelt Hotel and then hoofed it to Grand Central Station to catch a bus to the expo.  One of the top two expos on my list (with Marine  Corps Marathon being my fav to date).  Did all that we needed to do, got my pic with Bart Yasso, and then we hear the announcement that ALL Asics apparel is 50% off. What?!  It was the last hour and this stuff needed to go.  We helped them get rid of some of it.  Luis looks mighty spiffy in his new jacket. 

Now we had to get back to the hotel, but the shuttle buses were bursting out the seams and lines were streaming down the sidewalks.  It was cold and rainy, but we decided that it would be in our best interest to walk up a bit and catch a cab, and so did a few hundred other folks. We walked a good ways and then caught a cab. He took us a good portion of the way, but made a wrong turn, so out of the cab and back on foot.   Walk, walk, stop by for a bottle of wine, stop by Tony's Di Napoli to make dinner reservations (highly recommended Italian restaurant) and then walk back to hotel. Finally feet up for 30 minutes, glass of wine and then out (by cab) to Tony's to stuff ourselves with family-style pasta dishes. We got the lobster-stuffed ravioli with shrimp, spinach, tomatoes and garlic in a wine sauce and a platter of Ala Vodka sauce with penne pasta and we all three ordered dessert for later!  We wobbled like Templeton the rat back home. 

Time for some race prep made easy-peasy with the assistance of the flatman creation.  We were sure to be prepared by laying it all out.  Now feet up and dessert time.  Yum.  Bedtime at 9:15, but wait it will really be like 8:15 with the time change. Very nice plus for a race weekend!  Luckily, I had gotten my ferry time changed so that Luis and I could travel together and I gained two more hours by doing so.

We headed out by 6:45 and caught the subway to Staten Island Ferry (arrived in less than 30 min.).  Hung out for a while people watching and then on the ferry, meeting a few folks and getting a great view of The Lady, herself, Ms. Liberty--a sweet reminder of why life is good for us and that life could be worse.  Off the ferry, and...

Into the ferry station to watch and hear some more people, (so many different languages) more meetings of interesting people and then out the door to the buses!  Wait!  Is that the wind gust they were talking about?  Yes, and worse than they had predicted and a lot worse than what I had expected.  Now, I was finally a little worried.  We waited a good while here huddled up to our fellow runners and eavesdropping without intending to so on everyone's conversations, sharing warmth and some unintentional snuggles, too.  We were all saying the same things, so not too much juicy gossip--runners, especially during a race, speak runner's talk--what kind of shoes are those, do you have goal time, is this your first marathon.  Luis and I did meet an interesting fellow that talked about a variety of things from car thievery, and stock market to living as a musician and playing the guitar in some well known musicals.  After a good bit of waiting, we are now on the bus with a new set of folks.  I watched their faces--some looked really nervous and others looked ready to get this thing going.  Bus ride was kind of long, but it was nice to be warm and sitting down.  

Off the bus and patted down and wand-ed for weapons--really. The police presence was large and appreciated.  I felt safe and secure at all times. One last stop to the potty, where we struck up yet another conversation with interesting peeps and then a dash for the starting corral.  Yikes, our dash was a more like where do we go and hopping over discarded clothing.  The starting corrals were littered with every sort of clothing and brand name you can imagine. Comforters, sleeping bags, towels, snuggies, pajamas, robes, sweat shirts and pants, fleece jackets, puffy coats, down filled coats, heavy winter coats, flannel shirts, business suits, hats, scarves, gloves, socks, and more hats, and the brand names were well represented--Asics, Adidas, North Face, Patagonia, REI, Nike, Dunkin Donut, and more! 

We made it to our corral and took off most of our own extra clothing, but found it necessary to keep our Tyvek jackets on. We watched some runners passing by as we were waiting for our own start and then figured out that they were our start (!)--so off to join them.

The course is so much about the people and I think I've pretty much given you a good idea about them. There are many great bands and music on this course and they are playing stuff you recognize, but I should insert a warning here--this will make you want to stop and dance or at least play a little air guitar or drums.  Aid stations are loaded in Gatorade and water with gels offered around mile 18.  Sadly, no PB&Js or hot potato soup for me.  How does one survive on Gatorade and gels alone?  And, yuck!  The course is pavement all the way, with five bridges that offer great views and pic opportunities. 
 
The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is by far the most spectacular of the lot.  There's a whole lot of running to be done on this one and it is impressive.  On our trip across the Verrazano we saw bags dancing in the air above our heads and clothing being swept over the side by the 55 mph wind gusts and taking the dive into the deep, cold waters below.  The wind was bossy and it was trying to clean this bridge of everything that did not belong, including us runners.  At one point, my left leg was blown into my right leg and almost tipped me over!  This happened to Luis later on in the race as well! It felt like we were being swept up into the cyclone that took Dorothy to Oz--we were blown two steps forward only to be blown two steps back.  It was exhilarating and it made me laugh out loud many times.  The many signs on the course certainly helped to distract from any low points and added A LOT humor to the course, albeit, some of them are twisted!  The crowds are NEVER-ending and they are always encouraging and the miles seem to disappear and before you know it you're at mile 20--that's where the fun run begins!  I love that last six in any marathon.      

The ice cream on top of the apple pie a la mode is when you turn the corner to go into Central Park and see the street lined with crowds of spectators that will not let you stop now--no way--you must keep on keeping on.  Here is where I saw my beautiful husband--I knew he wouldn't disappoint--time for a quick kiss and a selfie. 
 
One more turn, one more band, more peeps, "Where's the finish?", he said.  "I know that you can't see it yet, but I promise when you get to that little turn there up ahead you will see it", I replied.  He saw it and he said, okay, let's go.  The most beautiful words ever and my feet responded accordingly.

Luis, you were awesome!  I had a wonderful time sharing the streets of NYC with you.  I loved your excitement, enthusiasm and your high fives to the kids.  I was grateful to have you to talk to during my own low points and especially during my high points!  I really loved it when you went "back home".  I wanted to shout to the crowds, "This is Luis from the block!"  It was great to be a part of this experience with you and watch you dig deep and grow as a runner in so many ways. 

After crossing the finish line, well let's speed it up by saying we were medaled, space blanketed, food bagged and after A LOT of walking, ultimately ponchoed (thanks Adam's wife) and then out to meet JD at family spot U.  Found him, and began the long walk home, JD treated us to a ride part of the way in a rickshaw, but the guy was pulling way too slow for his per minute rate, so we opted to hoof it yet again back to the hotel and arrived 1 hr and 45 mins after crossing the finish line.  We treated ourselves to a hot meal, adult beverages and dessert in bed (separate beds, of course!).

Luis and I had a fabulous time and think that some of our friends and families should start entering the lottery to get in--we'd love to go watch you!  There are a few of you that we know would absolutely love this race!  Not going to call you out by name but, Si, te encantara!  And Oui, vous aimeriez aussi!  Okay, I will call one of you out by name, Ryan B, I know you would love it and I bet you could qualify for it! 

Thanks, Big Apple! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment